4 Ways to Secure the Best Employee
By: Katelyn Lengeman, Recruiter/Marketing Assistant
With today's skilled workforce in high demand, candidates may be actively or passively looking for a new positions. So, how do you find the perfect one for your company? Where does the process begin and what’s the best way to proceed? We have a couple of suggestions that we have seen work for our valued clients.
1. Detailed Job Description: This can be extremely helpful when looking for an ideal candidate. Some companies think a vague description is all that’s needed but that often leads to a search that yields a lot of candidates that are the “wrong fit.” The advantage of a detailed job description: you laid out exactly what you want accomplished and your future employee knows exactly what’s expected of them.
2. Looking Beyond the Resume: Of course you need to see your future employee’s skills and experience, however, often times there are more qualities that deserve credit. A candidate with an excellent work ethic, flexibility, and an ability to pick up on things quickly is priceless. Distinguishing between an impeccable work ethic, which can’t be taught, and a skill set that can be taught might be the difference between a mediocre employee and an excellent asset.
3. A Sense of Urgency: The cardinal rule in looking for a great employee is to remember that the good candidates go quickly. In the same way job seekers are encouraged to have initiative, employers are encouraged to do the same. A couple of days is all it might take for a great candidate to be working for your competition versus your company.
4. Keep People in the Loop: Whether it’s your recruiters, employees, or a potential candidate – it can be very helpful to keep people in the loop as much as possible. Current employees might have great recommendations, recruiters can be most successful when they know what the status is, and candidates will feel more valued if they are up on the details.
No matter what positons you are recruiting for, these tips can help make the process as efficient as possible while yielding the best results. Your company deserves the best candidate and the best candidate deserves your open position!
• Make sure your compensation matches the caliber of candidate you want.
• Go where the candidates are: Utilize Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
• Try out a temp-to-hire setup, this gives you time to see if they are a good fit.
• Let Gage Personnel know what your next opening is so we can find you the perfect employee!